How do I get there?
A: Driving directions, the short version is “Head north of Great Falls towards Ryan Dam.”
- (A) Go North from Great Falls on US 87 as if you were going to Havre. If you are in Great Falls, make your way to 15th Street, and turn North on 15th Street.
- (B) At about 5.5 miles from 10th Ave South (2.6 miles from the top of the hill where 15th Street becomes US 87 again) turn right on Morony Dam Rd. The big brown sign actually lists Ryan Dam at the top, with Morony Dam underneath, but the road is indeed called Morony Dam road.
- (C) Travel 2 miles east on Morony Dam Rd.
- (D) Turn left at the power lines (first road on left off Morony Dam Rd). This is Sportsman Trail.
- The second gate on the left is the entrance to the Black Horse Shootists’ Range, approximately ½ mile north on Sportsman Trail.
Directions from Helena or Missoula:
- Take either Central Ave or 10th Ave S exit into Great Falls.
- Go east until you reach the intersection of 15th Street
- Turn Left (North) onto 15th Street and follow the instructions after (B) above
Google Maps and Yahoo Maps provide a good map to the range gate, but their driving directions can be unnecessarily complex. The directions above are simpler, if not perhaps the shortest, route. If you are using mapping software, the address to plug into the map form is 58 Sportsman Trail, Great Falls, MT 59404